99th Monkey Sustainability
Did you know every Australian generates an average of 18.4 tonnes worth of carbon emissions a year? At 99th Monkey we care about our impact on the environment and how we can be a more sustainable business. That’s why we have worked with an independent auditor to calculate exactly what our carbon footprint is and how we can reduce it. We have looked at all the emissions 99th Monkey generates, including through production of raw materials and packaging, our electricity use and even our team’s daily commute into work.
Armed with that number, we have purchased carbon offsets from our good friends at With One Seed, who run an amazing tree planting program with East Timorese farmers to offset emissions and help stimulate the Timorese economy. And now we are proud to be able to say that we are a carbon neutral business! If you’d like to join us in making a change, head over to With One Seed to find out how to can offset your carbon footprint.
99th Monkey has commissioned start2see to prepare a comprehensive carbon account (greenhouse gas emissions footprint) of the organisation and its products (including the value chains) in order to establish the basis for carbon neutrality. 99th Monkey’s inventory has been prepared based on the “National Carbon Offset Standard for Products and Services” (NCOS) and the “Greenhouse Gas Protocol - A Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard”.
99th Monkey has purchased offsets from WithOneSeed. a forestry project in Timor Leste. WithOneSeed is the first social enterprise taking action on climate change through community forestry in Timor Leste. It is dedicated to improving the resilience of subsistence communities to make environments sustainable, to end poverty and hunger, to deliver open education and to create regional partnerships.
xpand Foundation has developed the WithOneSeed program over the past seven years. It is a community participation program which assists subsistence farmers in the reforestation of their land. It is now the first internationally certified carbon farming program in Timor-Leste and it supports 10 of the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (2015).
With One Seed Achievements
• Approximately 700 participating farmers (5% of the Baguia population)
• Over 110,000 trees planted and under management, increasing by 20,000 trees per year
• Removed more than 78,000 tonnes of CO2e from the atmosphere
• 13 community-based propagation nurseries under management
• 11 local staff employed by Ho Musan Ida
• Established the Timor-Leste registered Baguia Farmer Cooperative
• Established the Baguia Finance Cooperative
• Successfully undertaken a Gold Standard performance audit
• Maintained an MOU with the Government of Timor-Leste WithOneSeed has embraced the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all.