Peanut butter is a popular snack for humans, but can dogs eat it too? The answer is yes, but with some caveats.
Nut butters that are safe for dogs
- Peanut butter: Peanut butter is a good source of protein and healthy fats for dogs. It is also a good source of niacin, vitamin E, and B vitamins.
- Almond butter: Almond butter is another good source of protein and healthy fats for dogs. It is also a good source of vitamin E and magnesium.
- Cashew butter: Cashew butter is a good source of protein and healthy fats for dogs. It is also a good source of vitamin K and copper.
Nut butter that are TOXIC for dogs
- Macadamia nuts: Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs. Eating macadamia nuts can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, tremors, and hyperthermia in dogs.
- Pistachios: Pistachios are not toxic to dogs, but they are high in fat and can cause stomach upset.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are not toxic to dogs, but they can cause stomach upset.
How much nut butter can I give my dog?
It is important to give your dog nut butter in moderation. Too much nut butter can cause weight gain and stomach upset. A good rule of thumb is to give your dog no more than 1 tablespoon of nut butter per day.
How to give your dog nut butter
There are many ways to give your dog nut butter. You can spread it on their food, give it to them as a treat, or use it to make homemade dog treats.
Tips on giving your dog nut butter
- Make sure the nut butter does not contain xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is toxic to dogs. Our 99th Monkey Natural Peanut Butter does not contain xylitol or any artificial ingredients.
- Make sure the nut butter doesn't contain any added sugars.
- Start with a small amount of nut butter and see how your dog reacts. Some dogs may be sensitive to nut butter and experience stomach upset.
- Do not give your dog nut butter if they are overweight or have any health conditions
Nut butter can be a healthy treat for dogs in moderation. However, it is important to choose the right type of nut butter, one with no artificial ingredients or added sugar.