S'mores are a classic campfire treat, but they can also be enjoyed at home with these delicious homemade s'more cookies. These cookies are soft and chewy, with a hint of graham cracker and marshmallow flavour. They're perfect for a summer picnic or a cozy winter night.
What are S'mores?
S'mores are a simple treat made with three ingredients: graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate. The graham crackers provide a crispy base, the marshmallows add a gooey sweetness, and the chocolate provides a rich flavour. S'mores are typically toasted over a campfire, but they can also be made in a toaster oven or over a grill.
The History of S'mores
The history of s'mores is a bit murky, but they are believed to have originated in the early 1920s at a Girl Scout camp in New York. The name "s'more" is a portmanteau of "some more," as campers would often ask for seconds. S'mores quickly became a popular treat at Girl Scout camps across the country, and they eventually made their way into mainstream culture.
Why Are S'mores Delicious?
S'mores are delicious for a number of reasons. The combination of the graham cracker, marshmallow, and chocolate is simply irresistible. The graham cracker provides a bit of sweetness and crunch, the marshmallow is gooey and soft, and the chocolate is rich and decadent. The flavours of s'mores are also enhanced when they are toasted over a campfire. The heat from the campfire caramelises the marshmallow and melts the chocolate, creating a truly delicious treat.
How to Make S'mores
S'mores are easy to make at home. You can even customise them to your liking by adding extra ingredients.
Peanut Butter S'mores
We decided to make a 99th Monkey version of a classic s'more and add PEANUT BUTTER because how good is chocolate and peanut butter and then when you add the sweet and gooeyness of the marshmallow...YUM.
- 1 roll of store bought choc chip cookie dough
- 99th Monkey Salted Natural Peanut Butter (or Unsalted)
- Slice the cookie dough roll into 12 pieces
- Grease muffin tray and place one piece of cookie dough into each muffin hole and press down
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees C
- Remove from oven and using a spoon, create a little well in the centre of each of the cookies
- Add a generous teaspoon of Salted Natural Peanut Butter into these wells
- Add a marshmallow on top of the Peanut Butter to each cookie cup
- Place tray back into the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes (or until cookie dough is cooked through and marshmallows have softened)
- Place the tray into the fridge to set for 1 hour
- Using a knife, pop each s'more cup out of their muffin holes
This version of a classic s'more encompasses the sweetness of the chocolate, the texture of the marshmallow, and adds some creaminess and saltiness with the Peanut Butter. And not to mention you've got that choc chip cookie dough base! These Peanut Butter s'more cookie cups are sure to be a winner.